Greek Mac and Cheese
Greek Mac and Cheese, a healthy twist on a comfort food classic made in a creamy cheese sauce with whole wheat pasta, tomatoes, spinach, olives and Feta cheese.
8 ounces Whole Wheat Elbow Pasta
1 ½ tablespoons unsalted butter
½ cup red onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
¼ cup all-purpose flour
2 cups low fat milk
½ cup shredded part-skim mozzarella
5 ounces crumbled feta cheese, divided
½ teaspoon dried oregano
½ teaspoon dried marjoram or thyme
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 ½ cups quartered cherry or grape tomatoes
10 pitted Kalamata olives, chopped
3 cups fresh baby spinach, chopped
Fresh dill or parsley, for garnish
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. When boiling, add macaroni and boil until just under al dente according to package directions.
2. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a deep casserole dish (roughly 8 ½ ” x 10 ½ ”) with cooking spray and set aside.
3. In a medium sauce pot over medium-high heat, melt butter.
4. Add red onion and sauté until softened, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and sauté 1 minute more.
5. Sprinkle flour over the top and stir, cooking 2-3 minutes more.
6. Add the milk whisk until boiling.
7. Remove from heat and add mozzarella and 1/3 of the feta. Stir until mostly melted.
8. Add oregano, marjoram, pepper, diced tomatoes, olives and spinach. Stir to combine, add 1/4 teaspoon salt, or more as needed.
9. Transfer everything to the casserole dish. Top with the remaining feta cheese.
10. Bake 20 to 22 minutes or until top golden. Garnish with dill or parsley.
10 WW Freestyle Points
• Prep: 15 Minutes
• Cook: 45 Minutes
• Total Time: 60 Minutes
Source: Skinnytaste.com (6 servings)
Zesty Basil Burgers
“Basil Mayonnaise (a blend of mayo, basil and Dijon-style mustard) is delicious teamed with juicy hamburgers on crusty rolls.”
1 lb. lean ground beef
3 tablespoons onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
¾ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
4 crusty rolls, split
1 cup packed spinach leaves
4 tomato slices
3 tablespoons reduced-calorie mayonnaise
1 tablespoon fresh basil or, chopped
1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
1 teaspoon Dijon-style mustard
1. In medium bowl, combine ground beef, onion, garlic, salt and pepper, mixing lightly but thoroughly. Shape into four oval 1/2 inch thick patties.
2. Heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Place patties in skillet; cook 7 to 8 minutes or until no longer pink and juices run clear, turning once.
3. Meanwhile in small bowl, combine Basil Mayonnaise ingredients; mix well.
4. Line bottom half of each roll with spinach and tomato. Place burger on tomato; top with 1 tablespoon mayonnaise mixture. Close with top half of roll.
• Start to finish: 30 Minutes
Egg Roll Stir-Fry
1 lb. lean ground beef, pork, or turkey
1 small head of cabbage, shredded or sliced into thin strips
2-3 medium carrots, shredded
1 large onion, diced
1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
4-5 garlic cloves, minced
2 Tablespoons sesame oil
1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
¼ cup low sodium soy sauce
½ teaspoon ground black pepper, to taste
1. Cook and crumble ground meat with onions in a very large skillet until meat is cooked through. Do not drain. You’ll need to select a skillet large enough to contain all the cabbage – divide everything evenly into two skillets if needed.
2. While meat and onions are cooking, cut cabbage into thing shreds; set aside. Peel carrots with a vegetable peeler then either dice small or use the peeler to shave off thin slices; set aside.
3. Combine garlic, ginger, pepper, sesame oil, vegetable oil and soy sauce in a small bowl and stir to combine; set aside.
4. Add cabbage and carrots to ground meat then cook and stir over medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes.
5. Reduce heat to medium and continue cooking for 5-10 minutes or until cabbage is tender.
Substitute two bags of coleslaw mix for the cabbage and carrot if desired.
Ground pork or white turkey are great in this!
Substitute 1 teaspoon ground ginger for fresh if needed.
Source: South Your Mouth (6 servings)
Categories: beef, recipes
Vegetarian Fried Rice Recipe
Stir Fry Sauce
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon Chinese rice wine
1 tablespoons vegetarian oyster sauce
1 teaspoon sesame oil
¼ teaspoon ground pepper
2 tablespoons oil
3 large eggs lightly beaten
2 teaspoons ginger finely minced
2 cloves garlic finely chopped
2 scallions finely chopped
4 cups cooked brown rice
1 cup frozen peas
1. Mix together Stir Fry Sauce ingredients in a small bowl. Set aside. Heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat in a large skillet or wok. Add beaten eggs and scramble, using spatula to break egg into pieces. Remove and set aside.
2. Heat remaining tablespoon of oil in the same skillet. Add ginger, garlic, and scallions. Stir until fragrant, about 15 seconds. Add rice, using fingers to break up any clumps. Toss well; add Stir Fry Sauce and continue to toss until rice is heated through. Add peas and toss until peas are just done, about 2 minutes.
• Prep: 15 Minutes
• Cook: 15 Minutes
• Total Time: 30 Minutes
Source: Jeanette’s Healthy Living (6 servings)
Creamy Pesto Gnocchi Recipe
These creamy pillows of deliciousness cook in 20 minutes and make a great week night dinner. This is just one of the 120 easy recipes in Super Easy Cookbook for Beginners. Even if you’re not a beginner cook, you’ll want this cookbook so meals are easy and relaxing to make!
1 16 ounce package Potato Gnocchi
1 tablespoon Butter
¼ cup Pesto, (store-bought)
¼ cup Heavy Cream
Salt and Pepper, to taste
2 tablespoons Fresh Chopped Basil
Grated Parmesan Cheese, (optional)
1. Boil a large pot of water over high heat, then boil the gnocchi for 2 to 4 minutes, until tender (or according to package directions). Drain and reserve 1/2 cup pasta water.
2. Heat the butter in the same pan over medium heat (or you could use another skillet). Add the pesto, cream and reserved pasta water. Stir in the gnocchi and gently mix together.
3. Reduce heat to low and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the sauce is creamy, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
4. Sprinkle with the basil and serve with Parmesan cheese if desired.
• Prep: 5 Minutes
• Cook: 15 Minutes
• Total Time: 20 Minutes
Source: Food Fantic (4 servings)
Beans and Rice
You can’t go wrong with rice and beans. This combo makes for a nutritious and hearty side dish. Give this a twist with a unique seasoning.
1 ½ cups white rice
3 cups vegetable broth
2 bay leaves
2 tablespoons olive oil
½ white onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
30 ounces canned black beans or red beans, drained and rinsed
2 tablespoons old bay seasoning
½ lime, juiced
1. Start by cooking the rice in vegetable broth with the bay leaves, preferably in a rice cooker, if possible.
2. While the rice is cooking, add olive oil to a large pan and heat. Add onion and garlic to oil and begin to cook over medium heat until brown and translucent. Add beans, Old bay, and lime juice. Continue to sauté for 5 minutes.
3. Once rice is fully cooked, remove bay leaves, combine with bean mixture and serve hot.
Source: Gluten-Free Living Magazine (5 servings)