Cheap Creamy Chicken Curry
2 tablespoons Canola or Vegetable Oil
2 Fresh Garlic Cloves, Finely Minced
1 Large Yellow Onion, Finely Chopped
2 ½ teaspoons Curry Powder
2 teaspoons Ground Cumin
¼ teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
1 teaspoon Ground Tumeric
1 lb. Boneless Chicken Breasts, Cut into 1″Bite Size Pieces
1 ½ teaspoons Tomato Paste
1 cup Coconut Milk
2 teaspoons Kosher Salt
1 cup Hot Water (optional)
1. In a wok, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onions, cook for 6-8 minutes or until transparent. Add garlic and cook for 1-2 more minutes.
2. Stir in cumin, tumeric, 1 teaspoon curry powder, red pepper flakes and 1 teaspoon salt- cook for 1 minute. Add tomato paste. Mix to combine.
3. In ziploc bag, toss chicken pieces in remaining curry powder, season with salt and pepper. Add to wok, and cook for about 5-6 minutes until outside is golden brown.
4. Pour coconut milk into the wok-if coconut milk has separated from the fat, pour the liquid in and add a tablespoon or so of fat until you have the creamy consistency that you desire. Simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally for 7 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Add hot water if there is not enough liquid, because it has cooked down.
5. Serve hot with white rice if desired. Sprinkle with cilantro and a squeeze of lime if desired.
Melissa’s notes – I didn’t use the optional hot water (I had enough liquid). I used light coconut milk. Be sure not to skip lime wedges for serving.
• Prep: 15 Minutes
• Cook: 25 Minutes
Source: food52.com (3 servings)