I found this one on the Food Network site for Aarti’s show – it is definitely a different take on hot dogs! We only use smoked uncured dogs since Tom and I both get migraines!
Hot Dogs A La Rose
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 large onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
1 ½ tablespoons minced fresh ginger
½ cup shredded carrot, up to 1 cup, optional
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon turmeric
¼ teaspoon garam masala
½ teaspoon smoked Spanish paprika
1 large tomato, diced
2 tablespoons ketchup
12 ounces smoked uncured angus beef hot dogs, sliced about 1/8 – 1/4 inch thick
¼ cup water, if necessary
¼ cup cilantro, chopped
1. Heat the canola oil, in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, until shimmering.
2. Add the onions, garlic, ginger and carrots, if using, and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Saute until onions are softened and slightly brown around the edges, about 5 minutes.
3. Add the turmeric, garam masala and paprika, quickly stirring for about 20 seconds to keep the spices from burning. Stir in the tomatoes and ketchup, and taste for seasoning; add more salt and pepper, if needed.
4. Add hot dog rounds, stirring to cover them with the tomato mixture. Add 1/4 cup water if the mixture is too dry. Cover and simmer over medium-low heat 15 minutes.
5. Taste and season accordingly. Remove from heat, stir in cilantro and transfer the mixture to a serving bowl.
6. Spoon mixture into toasted pita bread halves.
• Prep: 15 Minutes
• Cook: 20 Minutes
• Total Time: 35 Minutes
Source: adapted from Aarti Party (4 servings)