Chorizo, Rice and Bean Soup
2 tablespoons butter
1 medium yellow onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 pound Johnsonville Ground Chorizo, (you can also use the chorizo sausage sold in casings – remove from casings when cooking)
1 pinch salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
15 ounces canned diced tomatoes
15 ounces canned black beans, rinsed and drained (you can use pinto beans, great northern, kidney… whatever you have on hand)
2 teaspoons dried parsley
2 cups beef stock
2 cups water
½ cup uncooked rice, (feel free to use white, brown, wild, etc…)
chopped fresh parsley or cilantro
lime wedges (optional)
1. Melt butter in a dutch oven or a soup pot.
2. Add diced onion and cook for 1 minute.
3. Stir in garlic; continue to cook for 30 seconds, stirring occasionally.
4. Add chorizo; season with salt and pepper and cook over medium-high heat for 4 to 5 minutes, or until browned, stirring to break up and crumble the meat.
5. Stir in diced tomatoes and beans.
6. Season with dried parsley and continue to cook for 2 minutes.
7. Add beef stock and water; bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
8. Stir in rice and reduce heat to a simmer.
9. Cover and continue to cook for 12 to 15 minutes, or until rice is thoroughly cooked.
10. Remove from heat.
11. Ladle soup into bowls; add fresh lime juice from one small wedge, sprinkle with parsley or cilantro and serve.
14 WW SmartPoints
• Prep: 10 Minutes
• Cook: 25 Minutes
• Total Time: 35 Minutes
Source: Diethood (6 servings)