Tomatillo Chicken Stew – Instant Pot
1 ¼ lbs. boneless skinless chicken thighs
1 pinch Salt and pepper
2 tablespoons Olive oil
2 medium yellow onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 ½ cup chicken stock
2 cups tomatillo sauce, made from scratch or use salsa verde
1 teaspoon dried oregano, or 1 tbsp fresh, chopped
½ cup packed chopped cilantro , (about one bunch rinsed and chopped, stems and leaves)
1. Set instant pot to sauté, add a couple tablespoons of olive oil until hot. Pat dry the cubed chicken parts with paper towels. Sprinkle salt and pepper over them. Working in batches so as not to crowd the pan, and adding more olive oil when necessary, brown the chicken pieces on two sides.
2. When you place the pieces in the pot, make sure there is room between them (otherwise they will steam and not brown), and don’t move them until they are browned on one side. Then use tongs or a metal spatula to turn them over and don’t move them again until they are browned on the other side. Do not cook through, but only brown.
3. Remove the chicken pieces from the pot. There should be a nice layer of browned bits (fond) at the bottom of the pan.
4. Add the onions to the pot, and a tablespoon or two more olive oil if needed (likely).
5. Add ground cumin and coriander. Cook a few minutes, stirring occasionally until onions are softened and the browned bits from the chicken have been picked up by the onions and are no longer sticking to the pan.
6. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds more, until fragrant.
7. Add the browned chicken, the tomatillo sauce, chicken stock, and oregano to the pot. Stir to combine.
8. Select the soup setting on the instant pot. After cooking, quick release and add the cilantro to the stew in the last minute or so of cooking.
Source: adapted from Simply Recipes (4 servings)