Instant Pot New York Cheesecake #17
Easy New York Style Instant Pot Cheesecake Recipe: Pamper yourself & impress guests with your choice of smooth/creamy or rich/dense pressure cooker cheesecake with crisp crust.
10 (120g) graham crackers, finely ground
3 – 4 tablespoons (42g – 56g) unsalted butter, melted
Pinch of sea salt
2 teaspoons – 1½ tablespoon (8.3g – 19g) brown sugar (depending on your desired sweetness)
Optional: ¼ cup all-purpose (32g) flour (If you are blind-baking the crust)
Cheesecake Batter (7 inches x 3 inches)
16 ounces (454g) cream cheese, room temperature
2 large egg, room temperature
⅔ cup (133g) white sugar
½ cup (120g) sour cream, room temperature
2 tablespoons (16g) cornstarch
2 teaspoons (10ml) vanilla extract
Pinch of sea salt
1. Make the Crust:
2. Ground the Graham Crackers: Finely ground 120g graham crackers in a food processor. Or place the graham crackers in a Ziploc bag and roll them with a rolling pin.
3. Mix the Crust Mixture: In a small mixing bowl, mix finely ground graham crackers, a pinch of sea salt, 2 tsp – 1½ tbsp (8.3g – 19g) brown sugar together with a fork.
4. Optional Perfectionist’s Step – Add Flour (if blind-baking for firmer & crisper crust): mix in ¼ cup (32g) all-purpose flour.
5. Add Melted Unsalted Butter: Mix in roughly 3 – 4 tbsp (42g – 56g) unsalted butter until the mixture is sticking together.
6. Optional Perfectionist’s Step – Line the Pan (for smoother sides & easier release): Line the side & bottom of cheesecake pan with parchment paper. *Note: We did not use any butter to line the parchment paper.
7. Form the Crust: Pour in the graham cracker crumbs mixture. Gently press down the crumbs with a ramekin or Mason jar to form an even layer. You can also use a spoon for the edges.
8. Firm the Crust:
9. Method #1: Place the cheesecake pan in the freezer while you make the cheesecake batter.
10. Perfectionist’s Method #2 – Blind-Bake Cheesecake Crust (for firmer & crisper crust): Place the crust in a 325°F oven for 15 minutes.
11. Make the Dense Cheesecake Batter
12. Mix the Sugar Mixture: Mix 2 tbsp (16g) cornstarch, a pinch of sea salt, and ⅔ cup (133g) white sugar together in a small mixing bowl.
13. Briefly Beat the Cream Cheese: In a medium mixing bowl, briefly break up the 454g cream cheese by beating it for 10 seconds with a hand mixer using low speed.
14. Mix in the Sugar Mixture: Add in half the sugar mixture and beat until just incorporated using low speed (roughly 20 – 30 seconds). Scrape down the sides and the hand mixer with a silicone spatula every time a new ingredient is added. Add the remaining sugar mixture and beat until just incorporated using low speed (roughly 20 – 30 seconds).
15. Add Sour Cream & Vanilla Extract: Add ½ cup (120g) sour cream and 2 tsp (10 ml) vanilla extract to the cream cheese mixture. Beat until just incorporated using low speed (20 – 30 seconds).
16. Blend in the Eggs: Blend in the two eggs using low speed, one at a time. Mix until just incorporated (about 15 – 20 seconds with a hand mixer & less time if you are using a powerful stand mixer). Try not to overmix on this step. Scrape down the sides and the hand mixer with a silicone spatula and fold a few times to make sure everything is fully incorporated.
17. Pour Batter into the Pan: Pour cream cheese batter into the cheesecake pan.
18. Perfectionist’s Optional Step – Remove Air Bubbles for Smooth Surface: Tap the cheesecake pan against the counter to let the air bubbles rise to the surface. Burst the air bubbles with a toothpick or fork. Tap until you are satisfied. Ensure the surface is clear of air bubbles or lines.
19. Pressure Cooking the Cheesecake:
20. Method #1: Pour 1 cup (250 ml) of cold water in the pressure cooker. Place the cheesecake pan on top of a trivet (so, it’s not touching the water). Close the lid and pressure cook at High Pressure for 26 minutes and Full Natural Release. Natural release will take roughly 7 minutes. Open the lid gradually. Absorb any condensation on the surface by lightly tapping it with a soft paper towel.
21. Perfectionist’s Method #2 – Prevent Surface Dents: Place a trivet and pour 1 cup (250ml) of water in the pressure cooker. Bring water to a boil (Instant Pot users: Press manual and set the time to 28 minutes).
22. When the water begins to boil, place the cheesecake pan on the trivet with a foil sling right away.
23. *Caution: Don’t wait too long to place the cheesecake in pressure cooker, as it’ll affect the cooking time. Place it immediately once the water begins to boil. This prevents too much water from evaporating.
24. Immediately close the lid and let it pressure cook at High Pressure for 28 minutes and Full Natural Release. It should go up to pressure in roughly 1 minute. Natural release will take roughly 7 – 9 minutes. Open the lid gradually. Absorb any condensation on the surface by lightly tapping it with a soft paper towel.
25. Cool, Chill, Serve the Cheesecake:
26. Cooling the Cheesecake: Allow the cheesecake to cool to room temperature with the lid open in the pressure cooker. Or place it on a wire rack to cool to room temperature.
27. Perfectionist’s Optional Step – Release the Cheesecake from the Sidewall to Avoid Cracking: After cooling for 10 – 15 minutes, carefully run a thin paring knife between the sidewall and the cheesecake (or parchment paper) to release the cheesecake from the container. Pull the slightly wrinkled parchment paper lightly to straighten it out for a smooth side.
28. Chill the Cheesecake in the Fridge: Once the cheesecake has completely cooled, place it in the refrigerator for at least 4 – 8 hours.
29. Serve: Remove the cheesecake from the refrigerator. The best way to release the cheesecake from the bottom pan is warm the bottom of the pan to melt the butter. You can use a torch or heating pad for this step. Carefully peel off the parchment paper. Enjoy~
Smooth & Creamy Cheesecake Option: Remember to adjust the beating time to 1 minute for Part B – Step 2 (cream cheese), Step 3 (sugar mixture), and Step 4 (sour cream & vanilla extract).
For 6 x 3 inches Cheesecake Pan: add 5 mins High Pressure Pressure Cooking Time.
Made for Tom’s 18th birthday following steps for blind-baked crust and optional smooth and creamy directions.
• Prep: 20 Minutes
• Cook: 40 Minutes
• Total Time: 1 Hour
Source: http://www.pressurecookrecipes.com/instant-pot-cheesecake-new-york/#recipe (Servings: 12 | Yield: One 7-inch cheesecake)