Chicken Egg Roll Bowls
These egg roll bowls are easy, ready in 15 minutes, full of flavor, have lots of texture, and are healthier than actual egg rolls. Chicken is cooked in sesame oil with an onion and a bag of coleslaw mix consisting of shredded cabbage and carrots before adding garlic, ginger, soy sauce, and finishing with green onions. The next time you’re tempted to call for takeout on a busy weeknight, pull this recipe out of your back pocket and dinner will be on the table in no time.
2 tablespoons sesame oil
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 pound ground chicken, or ground turkey, or ground pork
1 small sweet yellow onion, vidalia or other
4 cloves garlic, finely minced or pressed
1 teaspoon ground ginger
16 ounces cole slaw mix
½ cup low sodium soy sauce
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
3 medium green onions, thinly slices for garnishing
1 tablespoon sesame seeds, optional for garnishing
hoisin sauce or extra soy sauce, optional for serving
1. To a large skillet add the oils, chicken, and cook over medium-high heat until done, about 4 to 5 minutes; crumble chicken and stir intermittently to ensure even cooking.
2. Add the onions and cook for about 5 minutes or until tender; stir intermittently.
3. Add the garlic, ginger, and cook for about 1 minute, or until fragrant.
4. Add the coleslaw mix (looks like a lot but wilts quickly), evenly drizzle the soy sauce, add the pepper, stir to combine, and cook for about 5 minutes, or until cabbage is wilted and tender; stir intermittently.
5. Evenly sprinkle with green onions, optional sesame seeds, and optional extra sauces for serving. Serve immediately. Recipe is best warm and fresh but extra will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 5 days.
• Prep: 5 Minutes
• Cook: 10 Minutes
• Total Time: 15 Minutes
Source: Averie Cooks (4 servings)