Italian Sausage Stuffed Pepper Soup
1 cup uncooked long grain white or brown rice
2 cups water or beef broth
1 lb. Italian sausage, casings remove
1 tablespoon oil
1 onion, diced
2 bell peppers, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 (15 oz) can tomato sauce or tomato puree
2 cups beef broth
½ teaspoon dried basil
¼ teaspoon dried oregano
salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
1. Bring the rice ad water to a boil, reduce the heat, cover and simmer until the water has been absorbed, about 20 minutes, before removing from the heat and letting sit, covered.
2. Meanwhile, cook the sausage in a large pan over medium-high heat and set aside, about 7-10 minutes.
3. Add the onions to the pan and cook for 5 minutes. Add the peppers to the pan and cook for 5 minutes.
4. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, while stirring, about 1 minute.
5. Add the tomatoes, broth, sausage, onions and peppers, bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
6. Add the rice, season with salt and pepper, remove from heat, mix in the parsley and enjoy!
Option: For One-Pot: Make this a one-pot meal by adding the uncooked rice to the soup in step 5 with an extra 2 cups broth and cook until cooked, about 20 minutes.
Option: (Highly recommended) Add 1/2 cup grated parmesan to the soup and let it melt in! Yum!
Option: Replace the rice with quinoa or a blend of whole grains!
Option: Instead of cooking the rice separately, add it and 2 cups up extra broth to the soup at step 6 and simmer unto the rice is cooked, about 20 minutes.
Option: Replace the sausage with ground beef or ground turkey, etc.
Source: Closet Cooking (6 servings)