Cooking up a few of Tom’s favorites while he is home on spring break!
8 ounces egg noodles, uncooked
1 cup plain low-fat yogurt
2 ½ teaspoons chili powder
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 tablespoons fresh mint, chopped
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 onion, chopped
1 pound lean ground beef
1 pinch salt, to taste
1 pinch fresh ground pepper, to taste
16 ounces canned tomatoes
1. Prepare pasta according to package directions, drain. In a tiny mesh sieve or a cheesecloth line colander, drain the yogurt for 1/2 hour.
2. While pasta cooks, in a small bowl, combine drained yogurt, 1/2 teaspoon of the chili powder, lemon juice, and 1/2 of the mint, set aside.
3. In a frying pan, saute the onion in the vegetable oil until translucent. Add ground beef and sauté just until pink disappears. Drain beef well, then return to frying pan and add remaining chili powder, remaining mint, salt and pepper and cook one minute more. Add the tomatoes, and simmer five minutes.
4. Transfer pasta onto a serving plate and pour yogurt mixture on top. Then spoon meat mixture over yogurt and noodles and serve.
NOTES : 2 teaspoons dried mint can be substituted for fresh mint.
10 WW Freestyle SmartPoints
• Start to finish: 30 Minutes