Mexican Bison Bake with Cilantro-Lime Cream
“Browned ground bison with tomatoes and penne pasta gets a Mexican-inspired twist with cumin, oregano, and black beans in this easy weeknight casserole.”
6 ounces dried penne pasta
1 lb. ground bison
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
¾ cup salsa
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
½ cup crushed tortilla chips (optional)
½ cup shredded Cheddar cheese
1 tablespoon sliced green onion
⅔ cup sour cream
3 tablespoons sliced green onions
1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
½ teaspoon finely shredded lime zest
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cook pasta according to package directions; drain. Cover and keep warm.
2. Meanwhile, cook ground bison and garlic over medium heat in a large skillet until meat is brown. Drain off fat.
3. Stir cooked pasta into the cooked, drained ground bison in the skillet. Stir in beans, undrained tomatoes, salsa, oregano, cumin, and chili powder.
4. Transfer mixture to an ungreased 2-quart baking dish or casserole. Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with tortilla chips (if using) and cheese. Bake, uncovered, for 5 more minutes or until cheese is melted. Sprinkle with the 1 tablespoon green onion and serve with Cilantro-Lime Cream.
5. Cilantro-Lime Cream: Combine sour cream, the 3 tablespoons green onions, the cilantro, and lime zest in a small bowl. Cover and chill until ready to serve.
Source: Allrecipes (6 servings)