Greek Mac and Cheese, a healthy twist on a comfort food classic made in a creamy cheese sauce with whole wheat pasta, tomatoes, spinach, olives and Feta cheese.
8 ounces Whole Wheat Elbow Pasta
1 ½ tablespoons unsalted butter
½ cup red onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
¼ cup all-purpose flour
2 cups low fat milk
½ cup shredded part-skim mozzarella
5 ounces crumbled feta cheese, divided
½ teaspoon dried oregano
½ teaspoon dried marjoram or thyme
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 ½ cups quartered cherry or grape tomatoes
10 pitted Kalamata olives, chopped
3 cups fresh baby spinach, chopped
Fresh dill or parsley, for garnish
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. When boiling, add macaroni and boil until just under al dente according to package directions.
2. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a deep casserole dish (roughly 8 ½ ” x 10 ½ ”) with cooking spray and set aside.
3. In a medium sauce pot over medium-high heat, melt butter.
4. Add red onion and sauté until softened, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and sauté 1 minute more.
5. Sprinkle flour over the top and stir, cooking 2-3 minutes more.
6. Add the milk whisk until boiling.
7. Remove from heat and add mozzarella and 1/3 of the feta. Stir until mostly melted.
8. Add oregano, marjoram, pepper, diced tomatoes, olives and spinach. Stir to combine, add 1/4 teaspoon salt, or more as needed.
9. Transfer everything to the casserole dish. Top with the remaining feta cheese.
10. Bake 20 to 22 minutes or until top golden. Garnish with dill or parsley.
10 WW Freestyle Points
• Prep: 15 Minutes
• Cook: 45 Minutes
• Total Time: 60 Minutes
Source: Skinnytaste.com (6 servings)